Over the past several years we have witnessed the accelerated development of technology and its ability to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities.
Based on the knowledge and experience that we have gained at Beit Issie Shapiro in the use of technology – starting with computers and then moving to tablets (particularly iPads) – as tools for people with disabilities, we established the Assistive technology Center.
Our vision is to promote inclusion and independence and enhance quality of life of people with disabilities through the use of technology.
Who We Are
The Center is staffed by professionals from different disciplines: occupational and speech therapists, educational technology specialists, and more who are experts at integrating technology into different environments.
What We Do
- Provide professional solutions for the use and integration of technology among children and adults with disabilities, through consultation, guidance and training for professionals.
- R&D: develop field-proven solutions supported by research and evaluation, best practices and tools for a successful implementation.
- Share knowledge and promote the field around the world.
- “Market Education” – increase awareness of the need to develop accessible apps, and provide consultation to developers.
In line with the holistic approach of Beit Issie Shapiro, the Assistive technology Center works in a multi-disciplinary way with a broad view towards developing models and work methods of the highest standard.
The solutions developed at the Center are based on field-proven methods and knowledge that have been developed from the bottom-up, based on the daily work of the therapeutic and educational staff and the needs in our different frameworks.
Our work model is based on collaboration among the staff, close relationships with the families, and on finding the optimal fit between technology and the user’s needs, interests, abilities and goals of his/her treatment or learning.
The services provided at the Center are suitable for people of all ages.
Consulting and Training for Frameworks:
- Needs assessment – identification and mapping of needs
- Suggested training program for optimal implementation
- Provision of tools and methods for successful implementation in the kindergarten, school, hostel, etc.
- Familiarization with accessibility options and accessories
- How to build a personalized program with appropriate apps and accessories
- Familiarization with a range of activities and apps for different purposes (communication, education, games, etc.)
- Follow-up meetings and ongoing support (available online as well)
- We come from the field – providing solutions that work!
- Thinking outside the box – a variety of creative uses going beyond AAC
- R&D – ongoing research, assessment, and evaluation
- Strategic partnerships in Israel and abroad
- Leader in the field of disabilities
- Special Consultant to the UN on disabilities
For inquires, or more information, please contact us:
Tel: +972-9-7701222 | +972-9-7701236
Leave a Reply